The amount of jargon on the forum can definitely be overwhelming for a noob. It's made worse by the fact that many of the terms and factories are badly named for arbitrary reasons, and the names just sorta stick. Here's some random stuff I'll try and categorize with stuff I've learned so far:
- Noob Factory - (AKA Mr. Creme de la Creme) Very popular rep manufacturer best known for their super rep Panerai watches, especially the PAM111N v3 and AP Diver v3. Trustworthy in terms of using new swiss movements. They make tons of other watches, and in terms of Rolexes they make ones that are great reps, but not quite super reps.
- H Factory - Another very popular rep manufacturer also known for their super rep Panerai watches, and the primary competition with Noob Factory in this area. Also known for high end Breitling reps especially the SteelFish. Trustworthy in terms of using new swiss movements.
- BP Factory - Named because of their manufacture of IWC Big Pilot (BP) watches, and the name just stuck. Today they're well known for their very high end Rolex Submariner Ceramic watches (116610) for a low price. I believe they also make current Omega Seamaster 42mm PO and CrPO super reps. Questionable reputation for using refurbished swiss movements.
- V6 Factory - Known for making very high end Hublot Big Bang watches. Also known for making some Tag Heuer reps
- Cartel - a factory that is exclusive to Trusty Time and Perfect Clones rep watch dealers. Known as the cartel because those two dealers were known for trying to form a coalition of exclusivity to enable price fixing. They are no longer authorized Trusted Dealers here, but still have good quality stuff.
Big Modders / Small Factories
- TC - known for making one of the highest end Rolex Submariner (and previously Yachtmaster) super reps at a high end premium price. blog(dot)tc-sub(dot)com
- BK - also known for making very high end Rolex Submariner reps
- WM9 - Before my time. Apparently also a highly coveted Rolex replica model modded by someone named WatchMaker9
- Kuvarsit - popular for Panerai reps
- DSN - AKA Davidsen, DavidsenJpn. Popular for Panerai reps and sterile homages
- 21J - AKA DG2813, DG4813 (high beat), Miyota clone. This is an entry level cheap movement with decent reliability. Can be found in reps priced around the $100 mark. Hands and dial for this movement cannot be used in other more popular movements.
- A2836 - AKA Asian Clone, Superclone, Asian ETA, A2824. A completely legal Chinese made clone of the popular Swiss ETA 2836 movement. Can be found in reps priced around $150 and above.
- Sellita SW200 - another clone of the Swiss ETA 2836 movement, but made by a Swiss company with the same high end standards as ETA. Price and performance is the same as an actual Swiss ETA.
- ETA2836 - AKA Swiss ETA, ETA2824, Swiss. The genuine and original Swiss movement used in a ton of genuine and high end rep watches. Hands and dials for the ETA2836 will fit the Sellita and A2836 movements.
- SA3135 - Chinese clone of the Rolex 3135 movement. It has the same features of the genuine Rolex movement (size, dial and hand compatibility, crown/stem height, hand rotation) but has mixed reviews on reliability. Early versions had weak stems that broke in the movement. Newer movements seem to have better reviews.
You can check the Rolex section or the Rolex page on wikipedia for info on models. The popular ones seem to be:
- Submariner - AKA Sub, 16610xx. The standard submariner with metal insert on the bezel and smaller case/lugs/crown guards.
- Submariner Ceramic - AKA Sub-C, 116610xx. Same as the Sub but with a slightly bigger case all around and a ceramic insert on the bezel. Also has a bigger pearl on the bezel, and bigger lume dots on the dial (known as a maxi dial).
- LV - Version of a Sub and Sub-C that is green to celebrate the 50th anniversary. The LV version of the sub has a black maxi dial and a green insert. The LV version of the Sub-C has a green sunburst maxi dial and green ceramic insert.
- SD - SeaDweller. Dunno much about it.
- DSSD - Deep Sea Dweller? Deepsea Seadweller? Again, dunno.
And that's all I can think of in my long rant. I hope that helps. That took awhile to type, so you better reply in some way and not disappear.
That's EXACTLY the info I was attempting to sort out in my head!!!
Thank you so much! Defo a sticky!!!!