A different take on reps from the gen side.

Discussion in 'Replica Watch General Discussion' started by trailboss99, Jan 9, 2017.

1. gotsung

gotsung RWI SUPPORTER
    Supporter

Great read!!
    My take on wrist watches real or rep... no one really cares!
    Once in a while people will recognize Rolex and comment on it, but I have yet to encounter anyone who knows any Blancpain, JLC or even IWC.

2. 2fake4u

2fake4u Member

Great analogy with cars. Never thought of it that way.

Only thing that I think is different with rep cars vs rep watches, is that rep cars dont usually try to match up everything to the gen so that they could pass as gen, and the guts of it are actual "gen" parts. (Ford/Chevy/etc engines, trannys...) where the majority of rep watches are also rep movements or refurbed wrong movements.

And i tend to think car people are less snobby. A Rolex is more of a status symbol than a vintage cobra in the eyes of many. So copying their Rolex is a slap in their face, where copying a Cobra is more of a tribute to the car.

3. atgm

atgm It's temporary ;)
    Staff Member Administrator Supporter  

I may be wrong since i'm not super into cars, but aren't replica cars usually vintage or movie models? That is, we have rep watches of the latest and greatest, but rep cars are generally things that are super rare/unattainable.

4. FiloViridae

FiloViridae **?** NOOB FRIENDLY **?**
    Supporter  

Interesting read. Even talked about us! lol Yes, his name will be burned from the Gen community however.. Balls, and he was brave.

Cars: Yes, usually they are replicas of extremely hard/rare cars. A few exceptions.. Also, jerseys. Don;'t you 'buy' replica jerseys? As the only true original is the one the player is using...?

5. atgm

atgm It's temporary ;)
    Staff Member Administrator Supporter  

The only replica cars I pay attention to are Back to the Future cars... though I remember there being a big furor over the guy who was going to make franken DeLoreans to sell.

Jerseys are licensed by the team, so I'm not sure that's a similar situation... "replica" jerseys would be the ones you find on AliExpress or whatever.

6. FiloViridae

FiloViridae **?** NOOB FRIENDLY **?**
    Supporter  

Ahh I see. I was unsure. All I know is my signed jerseys have a certificate that says "authentic signed replica jersey" lol

Sent from the RWI mobile app

7. Spinman

Spinman New Member

This is, indeed, a fair and balanced article regarding the replica industry. I particularly found it amusing regarding the mention of Mister Wong. He really is a nice fellow, and it brought back memories of trudging through the Fish Market, with all of the various sites and smells, to find Mr. Wong's shop in the back. I'd often pass TukCom and know I was near Mr. Wong's. Then pass the 99 Goldshop and wait until I smelled the fish market, take a left (if coming towards the school at 2nd Road and Pattaya Tai) I always have had great conversations and dealings with Mr. Wong. He's been extremely honest and straight forward in many years of transactions/services. What surprises me the most about him is his memory. I'll go a year or more without seeing him, and when I walk into his shop he starts singing country music.. He remembers that I live in Nashville.
    Thanks again for the article, and for the memories of my interactions with Mr. Wong. I just thought that he deserves better than the mention in C&C's video.

8. pdw1

pdw1 RWI SUPPORTER
    Supporter  

Haha! Authentic replica.

That's what my watches are too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 2fake4u

2fake4u Member

Yes usually vintage models. The Fiero Ferraris and Lambos that are similar to replica watches in my mind, get laughed out of pretty much every car show Ive been to though.

Jerseys are sold as "the same thing they wear on the field" depending on which one you get, and are made by the same company and the same specs as the actual "Game Worn" Jerseys (depending on which jersey you want and how much you want to pay). Its similar to Omega and the "Bond" watches, if you want to bring it back to watches. It is a replica of the one worn in the movie, but is made by the same company, and to the same specs, as the real one.

10. Retina

Retina The Vintage Troll
    Supporter  

the guy is obviously a member here ;)

11. Jackster

Jackster RWI SUPPORTER
    Supporter

Great video, I want to know where that rep came from, thanx for sharing

Sent from the RWI mobile app

12. Hyjynx

Hyjynx The Host With The Most!
    Supporter  

He certainly knows a quality rep when he sees one - his avatar is a Hublot skeleton tourbillon rep:

[​IMG]

Yep. Definitely a rep forum insider and a member here. I'm almost certain I know who he is, but not going to out him.

Edit: On closer look, that's the gen tourbillon. Damn! The rep is so close.

#32 Hyjynx, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  13. bfiuza

bfiuza Member

It's gen my friend.

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

14. trailboss99

trailboss99 Head Honcho - Trainee Cat Herder
    Staff Member Administrator  

Yes please don't and that includes via PM.

15. Hyjynx

Hyjynx The Host With The Most!
    Supporter  

Of course. I'm not answering PMs either.

16. yllekp

yllekp RWI Addict
    Staff Member Sales Moderator Supporter  

OK people heads up:

In 10 years time when Noob surpasses Rolex as the desired watch to have. Please do not try to sell your V2 Subs on here at a profit regardless of them probably being worth 20k on the open market. We will call you out and no sale you.

FiloViridae, pdw1, Mikeodandy and 4 others like this.
  17. hispanic_power

hispanic_power New Member

now sneaking off to buy remaining stock :laugh::laughing: