College over age 30?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Aaron97, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Aaron97

Aaron97 Member

Well, its a new year and a new semester, you guys looking forward to it? I'm not.

I started Macroeconomics, Physics and Calculus II today. Its going to be a long 9 weeks...

2. Maron

Maron Il Fenomeno
    Supporter

I love being in school but this past year is having serious challenges.

I'm in anatomy and physiology, lab for ap, health promotions across the lifespan (psych nursing) , academic writing.

The challenge has been managing my chronic neck pain and dealing with associated medication side effects. Then at the end of november I got really sick with crohns for a month and missed the last week of classes and all my exams. So I just wrote two of my exams last week and I have anatomy on the 26th. Also have to finish a paper that was due 6 weeks ago. All while starting my new classes.

I do enjoy a challenge though :)

Sent from the RWI mobile app

3. Maron

Maron Il Fenomeno
    Supporter

You must really like math :)

4. Aaron97

Aaron97 Member

Not really... but need to knock it out. Best part about math courses... no papers! Well, I do have to write 1 paper in economics, but that's all. The physics syllabus looks intense, lots and lots of assignments and homework.

5. redrising

redrising Active Member

I love Econ but definitely hate physics and cal. Looks like it's going a very condensed 9 weeks for you. Good luck.

6. liq2

liq2 New Member

My best friend, dropped everything to head back to school at age 38. Was running a successful recording studio, but wanted to pursue his passion for being a Vet. Currently is taking all his science pre req's at a state school to hopefully apply for Vet school when he is 40. Never too late to chase down the dream!

Maron likes this.
  7. shortys9

shortys9 Member

would love to go back to college. Not because I dislike my career, I just enjoyed college.

8. hispanic_power

hispanic_power New Member

I´m for lack of a better word, dumb as a post, but i would have like to have gone back to study to be an Orthotic Technician.
    At this stage in my life i can´t afford to go into debt to study as i need to save my pennies for the possibility of retiring.

9. Maron

Maron Il Fenomeno
    Supporter

I love school. I regret that between age 22 to and 32 I wasn't focused on my education. I now plan to never stop learning and progressing.

10. Aaron97

Aaron97 Member

That is impressive. Sometimes I wish I had the guts (or freedom) to try a complete career change like that. I'm 38 and feel like I'm locked into what I currently do. Sure, I can move up the ladder and get a easier management job, but will always be stuck in aeronautics.

11. Maron

Maron Il Fenomeno
    Supporter

You can have whatever you like. Correction, you can have whatever you are willing to struggle for

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

12. Aaron97

Aaron97 Member

Haha, I just learned that in my economics class, that's called "opportunity cost", the thing you have to give up after you have made a choice for something else.

The big problem is that I have a wife, two kids, and mortgage, so I cant just quit my extremely well paying job to pursue a new one or go full time to college. I can however, take online college courses to pursue a degree in something that can later help me to venture into a new area in my current field.

I was talking to one of the online teachers and he told me they get paid about $1,000 a month per class. So I am starting to think, maybe I should get my Masters and then start "facilitating" online college classes. I'd have to teach a dozen classes to equal my current monthly income, but at least I could do it from home and spend more time with family.

13. Maron

Maron Il Fenomeno
    Supporter

You are thinking with your bank account and not your passion. But you have a family so of course it's a family decision.

I think teaching is great. I plan to have my first degree by 2020. My masters by 2022. Then at some point I will fulfill a PhD and I see myself professing after a time in the trenches.

You make $12,000 per month? Gtfo

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

14. Aaron97

Aaron97 Member

At my current pace, I should/could have a Masters by mid 2019, leaning towards the MBA from LSU. I think a PhD is only 18 more months after that, so if by some miracle I can keep up the pace and work/home doesn't get in the way, it'd be possible to have the PhD complete by 2021. You only need a Masters to teach, the PhD just sweetens the resume to make up for lack of experience.

As to the last question, I actually make more than that and I find my job to be very easy so its very hard to walk away from it. I actually enjoy my job, but I am at the mercy of the company. I would prefer to be able to live on my terms, be able to see my wife and watch the kids grow up, and spend time with my parents before its too late. I've been living overseas for the past 11 consecutive years, in three different countries. I normally fly home twice a year for a month and then fly the family out to stay with me during the summers.

So the truth is, I only want to change careers, so that I can move home and be home full-time. In my current line of work, there are no real opportunities in or around the city of New Orleans, unless I switch over to the NASA side of things, which is why I am trying to finish my degree.

15. jai04

jai04 Active Member

I Graduated from my Bachelor's degree in Nursing last 2008, at that time there are tons of nurses here in the Philippines and getting a hospital job is almost impossible so I went to teach BLS and ACLS courses at a training center. Did that for 3 years. By 2013 I started working as a nurse in a hospital up to this moment. Here, nursing education is fairly cheap compared to western countries but when we start working, we are minimum wage earners (200USD/month). Now, I am currently looking forward to move overseas and hopefully, I can make enough money and work my ass out to become a doctor. I'm turning 30 this month and to be honest, after all this years I haven't given up on my goal to be a doctor.

16. Nivka

Nivka RWI SUPPORTER
    Supporter

I'm happy to be in final year! And no exams this year, which is a bonus. I'm finding one of the unanticipated bonuses is getting to spend more time with family over the holidays. I've just spent a week at the beach with my little ones and it was priceless